Have you been injured in an accident? Have you been involved in a serious collision? If so, we know that this is a stressful time and that you likely have many questions.
Below, our Cape Giradeau personal injury attorneys have compiled a brief selection of questions that we commonly receive at our firm. In order to better understand your own situation or to gain a more complete understanding of your particular case, we encourage you to read through the following set of questions and answers.
If you have a question that requires immediate assistance, contact our office now.
What should I do after an accident?
If you were involved in an accident, there are several things you ca do to protect your rights, receive the medical treatment you need, and maximize the amount of a personal injury claim.
- We always encourage injury victims to seek immediate medical attention. Be very direct with your medical care provider about all of your injuries and be specific about all the types of pain and discomfort that you are experiencing. Make sure to keep all scheduled appointments with medical care providers whenever possible.
- Don’t talk to the insurance adjuster. Adjusters are trained to appear as though they are trying to help, when they are really trying to coax you into making certain statements that will allow them to reduce the value of your claim or even to deny it alogehter.
- Keep records of all of your medical bills, doctor’s visits and required treatments. Make sure you save all discharge papers and other documents given to you by your treatment providers.
- Keep track of all the time you miss from work so that you may properly document a claim for lost wages.
Other things you should do:
- Take photographs of the damage, the scene of the accident and of any injuries you sustained
- Keep a record of insurance information and contact information for all parties involved
- Take note of any potential witnesses
- Save all receipts for any expense associated with the accident
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney
Should I accept what the insurance company offers me?
No! The insurance company never has your best interests in mind. Rather, insurance adjusters care only about their bottom line. Oftentimes, insurance companies will try to make you waive your rights and agree to a settlement that is much less than what you are entitled to. Speak with an experienced personal injury attorney about how to properly value your claim so that you are not taken advantage of.
How much is my claim worth?
The value of each claim varies on a case-by-case basis and depends on a variety of factors and circumstances. Because no two cases are exactly alike, all personal injury claims must be examined and assessed independently. Common factors that may increase the value of a personal injury claim include: the severity of your injuries, the amount of your medical bills, the amount of time you are forced to miss from work and the conduct of the party that caused the accident.
Can I wait to file a claim?
If you have been injured in an accident, you should act quickly in order to protect your rights. The state of Missouri imposes a statute of limitations, or a time limit, on certain claims. For most personal injury and product liability claims, actions must be brought within 5 years of the injury. Medical malpractice claims generally must be filed within 2 years of the date of the conduct that caused your injury.
Have more questions? We have answers!
If you have a question that was not addressed above, contact our firm for a free and confidential consultation. Our Cape Girardeau personal injury lawyers have thrived in high-stakes, complex litigation matters and we are confident that we can utilize our knowledge and skill to your advantage.
We strive to level the playing field and make the personal injury process more transparent. If you would like to learn more about your rights at this time, please contact Bertrand Law today and request your free case evaluation. Contact Bertrand Law today!